Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Most Important Verse in the Bible

In a more focused endeavor to learn Croatian I've set out to memorize several verses in Croatian during the week. So yesterday, wondering which verse I would memorize today and partly out of curiousity, partly out of laziness I did a quick google search: "The Most Important Verse in the Bible."

I soon realized I had opened a can of worms.

I was expecting John 3:16 to come up at least 5 times out of 10. But what I found was that most sites I clicked on often had long, very opinionated explanations or testimonies about a certain verse that people centered their lives around.

The author of one site explained that "if a person really believes Genesis 1:1, they would not find it difficult to believe anything else recorded in the Bible."

Someone else feels the key is in Matthew 7:21. "Not everyone who calls me Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven..." They go on to exhort everyone to actually do the will of the Lord rather than merely calling on his name. (Interestingly, neither of these verses, nor the authors of the webites - mention grace.)

Is it possible for there to be a most important verse and still have a well informed faith?

No comments: